Employment Participation Rate
Area of Focus: Living
Employment Participation Rate, 2007-2016
(the proportion of working age population who are employed or looking for work)
Source: Labour Force Survey, Custom Order for Peel (2007-2016)
Why is this important?
- Peel Region offers services to residents who are looking for work and helps remove barriers to employment.
- The “employment participation rate” tells us how many Peel residents have jobs or are actively looking for work.
- When the employment participation rate is high, it means residents have better access to job opportunities.
How is this measured?
- Statistics Canada conducts a Labour Force Survey that tells us what percentage of people between the ages of 16 to 64 are either currently employed or looking for a job.
- Peel Region gets employment participation rate data from Statistics Canada.
What progress are we making?
- We have seen a slight decrease in the employment rate in the past 10 years.
- The Province of Ontario and municipalities like Peel Region are studying how to improve the Employment Services they offer.
- Peel will continue to support residents who want to find jobs.