Construction Work Starting in your Neighbourhood
The Region of Peel is improving water and wastewater services in your neighborhood. Tap water comes from a treatment plant and is delivered through a distribution system to your home. Wastewater comes from flushing toilets, having a shower or washing dishes. Sanitary sewer pipes take wastewater from your home to a treatment plant.
The construction work is the first phase of a multi-phased project that will have wastewater flow diverted away from areas that are prone to surcharging to reduce basement flooding. The project also includes watermain replacement to upgrade the current water services system. The sanitary sewer will be constructed in a tunnel along Cawthra Road from Dundas Street East to Bloor Street. The majority of the watermain replacement will be constructed using open-cut construction along Cawthra Road from Dundas Street East to just north of Silver Creek Blvd as shown in the attached map.
Construction is expected to start this month and be substantially completed by August.
Reducing the Impact of Construction
- Traffic will be managed to minimize traffic and pedestrian disruption in the area
- Regular working hours will be 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday to Friday. There could be a potential to extend working hours for tunneling activities
- Should we be required to shut down your water services an interruption notice will be provided to affected properties at least 48 hours prior to any shut down
Traffic, Driveway and Parking Information
- Cawthra Road will remain open to traffic at all times however we may need to temporarily reduce north bound traffic to a single lane during some portions of the work
- Some residents may experience delays accessing their property during water service installation and we will do our best to minimize this inconvenience
- Some tree removal along the construction alignment is required to complete the work. These trees will be replaced and landscaping will be restored following the construction
The Region encourages you to notify the Project Manager listed below if you have special requirements, or if you have any comments or concerns.
905-791-7800, ext. 7820