Before an Emergency
Preparing Your Home
No one can predict when an emergency will occur. Start preparing now.
|Step 1:||Put clips, latches, or other locking devices on cabinet doors.|
|Step 2:||Provide strong support and flexible connections on gas appliances.|
|Step 3:||Make sure that everyone has a flashlight and shoes near the bed.|
Change the placement of furniture and household items to make your home safer.
Secure items that could fall and cause damage or injury, such as:
- Locate and label all the shut-off switches for the heating and ventilating equipment in your home. Identify the on / off positions.
- Show your family members how to shut off these services.
- Place signs near the breaker panel (or main circuit breaker), gas, and water supplies.
- Add these locations to your Personal Record of Important Information.
- Discuss your insurance needs with an agent, broker, or insurance representative.
- Keep an inventory of all your valuables and possessions.
- Contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada for more detailed information about insurance coverage.