Weekly Yard Waste Collection Resumes Oct. 3
in Brampton and Mississauga
BRAMPTON, ON. (Sept. 26, 2011) - Starting Oct. 3, 2011, the Region of Peel will resume weekly yard waste collection services in the Cities of Brampton and Mississauga for the fall season. Yard waste will be picked up on the same day as regular waste collection.
“The amount of yard waste generated during the spring and fall seasons is significantly higher than the rest of the year,” says Norman Lee, Director, Waste Management. “To accommodate greater volumes of yard waste, residents may set out unlimited amounts of yard waste for curbside collection every week until the end of November.”
Yard waste collection ends the week of Nov. 28, 2011 on regularly scheduled collection days.
Follow these steps when putting your yard waste at the curb for collection:
- Place yard waste in labelled, open-top, rigid, reusable containers; bushel baskets; or paper yard waste bags.
- Set out yard waste and recyclable material on the opposite side of the driveway from garbage, if possible.
- Tie brush securely in bundles up to 1.2 m (4 ft.) in length and 76 cm (30 in.) in width.
- Make sure that yard waste containers, bags and bundles do not exceed 20 kg (44 lbs.) each.
- Pumpkins, leaves, garden trimmings, plants, grass clippings, twigs, branches and lawn edgings (earth removed) can be set out as yard waste. Pumpkins may also be cut up into pieces and placed in your backyard composter, yard waste container or green bin for organics recycling.
- Corn stalks and remaining fruits and vegetables from your garden should be placed in your backyard composter, yard waste container or included in your green bin for organics recycling.
- Do not use plastic bags, cardboard boxes or recycling boxes for yard waste.
- Do not include sod, soil, stumps or stones with your yard waste.
Stumps, soil, sod and excess yard waste can be taken to any of Peel's Community Recycling Centres for disposal – drop-off fees apply. Please refer to page 25 of the 2011/2012 Waste Management Guide for hours and the location of a Community Recycling Centre near you. Information is also available at www.peelregion.ca/waste.
The Region of Peel provides waste management services in the Cities of Brampton and Mississauga and in the Town of Caledon. For more information on these programs call the Region of Peel at 905-791-9499 or in long-distance areas of Caledon call 905-584-2216, free of charge. Visit the Region of Peel website at www.peelregion.ca/waste.
Follow Public Works on Twitter at twitter.com/peelpublicworks