A-Z List | Accessible Info | Careers | Contact Us

Images from Peel Region

For Immediate Release:
May 30, 2011

Region of Peel Prepared for Interruption of Postal Services

BRAMPTON, ON (May 30, 2011) - The Region of Peelís various programs and services are ensuring that cheques and payments are made available to residents and businesses in the event the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) takes strike action in June.

Because most Region of Peel service transactions are made through electronic funds transfer (ETF) the majority of payments to vendors and clients will not be affected by a mail stoppage. However, several transactional services will be affected and plans are in place. More information about services, locations, hours of operation and maps is available at peelregion.ca.

If a strike takes place:

  • Social assistance cheques - Ontario Works recipients who do not have direct deposit can pick up their social assistance payments at their local office. If their Ontario Works assistance is normally deposited into their bank account, they may not receive their statement of assistance and drug card for June in the mail until the postal strike is over. Drug cards for May will be honoured at any pharmacy and the statement of assistance for May can be used if dental care is required. If recipients do not have a statement of assistance or drug card for May and require dental services or medication, they are asked to contact their Caseworker. Further information is available at peelregion.ca/ow/.
  • Child care payments - Parents and caregivers who do not have automatic withdrawal for their child care services can drop off a cheque in a sealed envelope addressed to Childrenís Services Operations at their Learn.Play.Care. Child Care Centre. Fees can also be paid at Region of Peel offices in Brampton at 10 Peel Centre Dr., Suite B, (Map) and Mississauga at 6715 Millcreek Drive, Unit 1, (Map) where 24-hour drop-off boxes are also available. Call 905-791-1585.
  • Peel Living rent payments - Residents of Peel Living buildings who normally send their rent by mail have a range of options to ensure their payments are not interrupted including: online banking, telephone banking, payment at ATM machines or dropping off their rent cheque in a sealed envelope addressed to Peel Living at their superintendentís office or at the Regionís main office at 10 Peel Centre Dr. in Brampton.
  • Water bills will be hand delivered. Please check in and around your front door area. Preauthorized Payment and electronic billing services will continue. Payment location information is also available at peelregion.ca/waterbills. Payments may be made:
    • at any Chartered Bank
    • by telebanking or Internet banking
    • in person at:
      • the Region - 10 Peel Centre Dr., Brampton or 7120 Hurontario St., Mississauga,
      • the City of Mississauga - 300 City Centre Dr.,
      • the City of Brampton - 2 Wellington St. West
      • the Town of Caledon Ė 6311 Old Church Rd. (stub and cheque (no cash) in a sealed envelope).
  • Vendors can pick up their payment cheques at 10 Peel Centre Dr. in Brampton, or arrange for Electronic Funding Transfer through peelregion.ca/finance/ap/ or directly through their clients, and are encouraged to forward invoices via e-mail.
  • HSO client cards - Parents whose children are registered in the Healthy Smiles Ontario (HSO) program must pick up their childís HSO client cards at 7120 Hurontario St. in Mississauga. The childís valid Ontario Health Card and photo ID are required.
  • CINOT forms - Parents will be required to drop off signed Parent Notification Forms for the Children in Need of Treatment (CINOT) program at any of the following locations:
    • 7120 Hurontario St., Mississauga
    • Fairview Clinic (325 Central Parkway, Unit 21, Mississauga)
    • Brampton East Clinic (150 Central Park Dr., Unit 302, 3rd Floor, Brampton)
  • Dental Claim Forms - Parents are encouraged to contact the Customer Contact Centre at 905-799-7700 to check if their Dental Claim Forms are ready for pick up. Upon confirmation, parents can pick up their childís dental claim forms at 7120 Hurontario St., Mississauga on Tuesdays and Thursdays during business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). Childís Ontario Health Card and photo ID are required.
  • Seniorsí Dental Program forms - Seniors who are applying to the Seniorsí Dental Program must pick up and drop off Financial Aid Forms at 7120 Hurontario St. in Mississauga. Claim Forms for this program must also be picked up at 7120 Hurontario St., Mississauga.
  • Dental providers can pick up their payment cheques at 10 Peel Centre Dr., Brampton or arrange for Electronic Funding Transfer at peelregion.ca/finance/ap/. To facilitate treatment for clients, Pre-Determination Forms and Dental Claim Forms will be faxed directly to dental provider offices. Providers are advised that payments for treatment may be delayed during the strike period.

The Regional Municipality of Peel was incorporated in 1974 on the principle that certain community and infrastructure services are most cost-effectively administered over a larger geographic area. The Region of Peel serves over 1.3 million residents in the Cities of Brampton and Mississauga and the Town of Caledon.
For more information on the Region of Peel, please call 905-791-7800, or visit peelregion.ca.



David Hodkin
Acting Senior Public Affairs Associate
Region of Peel
905-791-7800, ext. 4674
416-356-8673 (cell)

Communication Services, 10 Peel Centre Dr., Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
Phone: 905-791-7800, Fax: 905-791-0595, e-mail



Home | Contact Us | Search | A-Z Topic List
Privacy & Terms of Use | Service Commitment

Smaller Text Larger Text