Peel's Future Directions Endorsed by Regional Council
(Brampton) - At its meeting today, Regional Council approved the final
draft of the Region of Peel's third Strategic Plan, titled Directions
for Success: Investing in Peel's Future.
According to Regional Chair Emil Kolb, a co-ordinated high-level plan that
focuses on the future of Peel is essential. "The Region of Peel is
a unique and diverse community that continues to grow at an exceptional
pace. This new plan enables the Region to establish priorities to support
a broad range of interests," he says.
Peel region covers about 1,225 square kilometres. Today, approximately
985,000 people live in Peel, while over 503,000 people work here. The Region's
Official Plan projects a 50 percent increase in population and employment
The process to renew the strategic plan began last year. It included a
comprehensive consultation process that involved Regional Council, senior
management and employees of the Region, and community stakeholders. Input
from the consultations significantly shaped the final draft of the plan.
"At the Region of Peel, we understand that strong and productive partnerships
with other governments, boards, community organizations, businesses, our
employees, and most importantly the area municipalities, are vital to providing
quality service for people who live and work in Peel," says Roger Maloney,
Chief Administrative Officer.
"Our new plan builds on the successes and lessons of the Region's previous
two plans. Overriding everything we do is our commitment to excellence,
our continuous improvement philosophy and our Regional values," adds
Highlights of the Region's new strategic plan are:
- A new name - Directions for Success: Investing in Peel's Future
- reflecting a new term of Council and a commitment to moving forward.
- A new vision that is a reflection of what the community of Peel
as an area wants to become.
|Vision: Peel will be a healthy, vibrant, and safe community that values
its diversity and quality of life.
- A new mission that describes the Corporation of the Region of Peel's
role in achieving the community vision
|Mission: The Region of Peel will serve its growing community through
commitment, partnership, innovation and excellence.
- Reworked and reordered goals that have been refined to reflect the environmental
trend analysis indicating the important areas of focus for the future.
1. Improve the community's health, social well being and safety.
2. Assess and manage all aspects of growth that affect Peel.
3. Preserve, protect and enhance Peel's natural environment and resources.
4. Contribute to a vibrant and diverse regional economy.
5. Be a leader in the provision and co-ordination of Regional services.
- Strategic Directions that provide broad, high level actions to support
"It will be the task of Regional Council and our 2,700 employees,
together with the 1,900 staff from Peel Regional Police, to carry out this
impressive plan. It is these dedicated, highly skilled and professional
individuals who will take ownership of this plan and lead the way into the
future," says Roger Maloney.