Peel Housing Programs & Initiatives
Profile: Coral Place
What is Non-Profit Housing?
The majority of social housing in Canada is in the form of non-profit housing and its residents represent a broad segment of the community. Non-profit housing is publicly funded affordable rental housing that is geared towards low to moderate income households. Along with co-operative housing, the senior levels of government turned to this model of community sector housing 30 years ago as an alternative to large-scale, government-run “public housing”.
Non-profit housing is run by community groups such as service clubs, ethnic organizations, faith groups, unions, advocates for people with disabilities, as well as municipal councils through their own housing corporations. Operating on a not-for-profit basis, it is funded through tenants' rents with subsidies from various government programs. There are two basic types of non-profit housing providers:
- Municipal non-profits which are controlled by local governments (e.g. Peel Living), and
- Private non-profits which are owned and run by community groups such as those listed above.
All non-profit housing providers are overseen by a volunteer Board of Directors, and managed by professional staff. Management of private community sector non-profits is often handled by property management companies that specialize in non-profit housing. The real estate portfolios of non-profit housing providers can range from the single buildings owned by many small community groups to the thousands of units of the larger municipal non-profits.
A portion of tenants in non-profit housing pay rents determined by their incomes (known as rent-geared-to-income or RGI housing) and the remaining portion pay market level rents. Rent levels for RGI units are set at 30% of the tenant’s income. This mix of RGI and market level units better integrates properties into their neighbourhoods. This is the key difference between today’s social housing and the “public housing” built by the senior levels of government in the past. Their developments were often large in scale and involved no income-mixing ─ all residents had rents geared to income and this often resulted in socially dysfunctional concentrations of poverty.
Non-profit housing is funded through both market and RGI rental income with subsidies from various government programs making up for the shortfall between rental income and the cost of running the facility. Community and charitable contributions are also important in helping to cover this gap.
Non-Profit Housing in Peel
In the Region of Peel there are 32 private non-profit housing providers, accounting for over 3,500 units. Peel Living is the local municipal non-profit housing provider with 70 buildings and 7,100 units. Across these forms of non-profit housing approximately 65% of tenants pay rents geared to their incomes and the remaining 35% pay market level rents. As well, many non-profit providers have entered into supportive housing partnerships with community agencies for a fraction of their units. These agencies assist special needs households to live independently despite physical, developmental and psychiatric challenges.
All non-profit housing projects covered by the Social Housing Reform Act (SHRA) have entered into service agreements with the Region and these outline the obligations both parties have to one another. These non-profit housing providers must accept RGI tenants from the Centralized Waiting List administered by Peel Access to Housing (PATH). Maps locating and listing all non-profit properties can be found at the end of Section Two. To submit an application for rent-geared-to-income housing, please contact Peel Access to Housing at 905-453-1300 or send an e-mail to: email@example.com