3. Conduct an Situational Assessment
Assessing and understanding the needs and interests of employees is an essential part of developing a comprehensive workplace health program. Whatever initiative your committee develops should ultimately reflect the interests of the employees and the issues facing the workplace.
Methods for assessing employee needs/interests:
- Informal discussion
- Suggestion box
- Focus group meeting
The needs assessment should also examine the 'organizational climate' of your company:
- What is happening within the business right now (look at the "big picture").
- Are there any programs already in place? Are they successful?
- What is needed to achieve better health at an organizational level?
- How are internal policies supporting a healthy organization and individual employee health?
- How will you align the program with the vision, mission and values of the company?
- What resources are available and what barriers are in your way?
- Is your organization ready to make a change?
6 Steps To a Healthier Organization