Suicide in Canada
- Approximately 4% of Canadians reported having suicidal thoughts in the past 12 months.
- In the fiscal year of 1998/1999 in Canada, there were 23,225 hospitalizations for attempted suicide.
- Almost 10 Canadians commit suicide per day.
- Approximately four times as many males commit suicide than females.
Chapter 3 - Suicide in Canada (PDF, 130KB)
Table of Contents:
- Message from the Acting Medical Officer of Health (PDF 111KB, 1 page)
- Acknowledgements (PDF 34KB, 1 page)
- Table of Contents (PDF 68KB, 1 page)
- List of Figures and Tables (PDF 35KB, 1 page)
- Chapter 1 - Introduction
- Chapter 2 - Suicide - An Overview
- Chapter 3 - Suicide in Canada
- Chapter 4 - Suicide in the Region of Peel and Ontario
- Chapter 5 - Summary
- Peel Health Facts (PDF 65KB, 5 pages)
- Data Sources, Methods, and Limitations (PDF 47KB, 2 pages)
- References (PDF 38KB, 1 pages)