A-Z List | Accessible Info | Careers | Contact Us

Images from Peel Region
revised Tuesday June 24 2014

Nutrition Services in the Region of Peel

Registered Dietitians

Registered Dietitians (RDs) are trusted food and nutrition professionals trained to provide advice on diet, food and nutrition. The titles “dietitian” and “registered dietitian” are regulated by law. Terms, such as “nutritionist” or “nutrition consultant,” are not regulated, so it’s important to look for the initials “RD” after their name.

To practise in Ontario, a registered dietitian must:

  • Complete a university degree specializing in food and nutrition, undergo either an accredited internship program or a master’s degree,
  • Pass the Canadian Dietetic Registration Exam, and
  • Register with the provincial regulatory body, The College of Dietitians of Ontario.

[ top ]

Private Practice Dietitians

Registered dietitians working in private practice provide nutrition counselling on a fee-for-service basis. Some medical benefit plans offer coverage for such services.

To find a Private Practice Dietitian in your area:

  • Call the Consulting Dietitians of Canada at 1-888-901-7776.
  • Check the Dietitians of Canada website.
  • Look in the Yellow Pages under "Dietitian."
  • Ask your doctor for a referral.

A registered dietitian is available at Eat Right Ontario to provide free nutrition information and education over the phone. Call 1-877-510-5102.

Peel Public Health

Caledon residents call toll free 905-584-2216

Public health nurses are available Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to provide free confidential health education over the phone. Language interpretation is available if required. A public health nurse can help you link to other services in the community, such as food banks.

Call Eat Right Ontario at 1-877-510-510-2 to speak to a Registered Dietitian. A Dietitian can answer your nutrition related questions in the following areas:

  • Maintaining a healthy weight, and managing cholesterol, diabetes and other health conditions.
  • Preparing healthy meals and snacks for the family including children, and nutrition during pregnancy.

Additional information can be found on the following Peel Public Health websites.

Community Care Access Centre (CCAC)

CCAC dietitians provide individual, family or group counselling in the home or residence for clients who meet the eligibility criteria.

To inquire about eligibility and services in your area, call 301-CCAC(2222).

Services are covered by OHIP.

[ top ]

Diabetes Education

Registered dietitians and other health professionals provide diabetes education to individuals and groups.

Diabetes Education Centres or Community Health Centres provide services that may require a doctor’s referral. Call the following phone numbers to find out about services offered:

Trillium Health Centre:
905-848-7547 (South Asian Diabetes Program)

William Osler Health System – Brampton Civic Hospital:

The Credit Valley Hospital:

Bramalea Community Health Centre:
905-451-8090, ext. 111

East Mississauga Community Health Centre:
416-252-1928 (West Toronto Diabetes Education Program)

Services are covered by OHIP or are free of charge.


Hospital dietitians support several outpatient programs by providing extensive individual and group education.

Each hospital provides different services and requires a doctor's referral. Call the following numbers to find out about services offered:

Trillium Health Centre:
905-848-7100 (Adults)
905-848-7653 (Children)

William Osler Health System:
905-494-2120 (Adults)
905-494-6593 (Children)

The Credit Valley Hospital:


Services are covered by OHIP.

[ top ]

Other Organizations and Services

These organizations and services provide nutrition information and resources.

Allergy-Asthma Information Association 1-800-611-7011
Best Start Coalition of Peel 905-452-1246
Canadian Cancer Society 416-488-5400 or 1-888-939-3333
Canadian Celiac Association 905-507-6208 or 1-800-363-7296
Canadian Diabetes Association 416-363-3373 or 1-800-226-8464
Canadian Liver Foundation 416-491-3353 or 1-800-563-5483
Central West Eating Disorder Program 905-815-5124
Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of Canada 416-920-5035 or 1-800-387-1479
Dietitians of Canada 416-596-0857
Eat Right Ontario 1-877-510-5102
Health Canada See website
Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada 905-451-0021 or 1-888-473-4636
Meals on Wheels

905-453-4140 (Brampton)
905-857-7651 (Caledon)
905-820-4026 (Mississauga)

National Eating Disorder Information Centre 416-340-4156 or 1-866-633-4220
Osteoporosis Canada 416-696-2663 or 1-800-463-6842
Public Health Agency of Canada See website
Specialty Food Shop 416-813-5294 or 1-800-737-7976
The Arthritis Society 1-800-321-1433
The Kidney Foundation of Canada 905-278-3003 or 1-800-387-4474

Nutrition Services

[ top ]

Health Topics A-Z | Information for Professionals | Information for Workplaces
| School Corner | Employment/Volunteer Opportunities | Clinics, Classes and Events | Resources & Factsheets | Translated Information | About Public Health | Contact Us | Public Health Home Page


Revised: Tuesday June 24 2014


Home | Contact Us | Search | A-Z Topic List
Privacy & Terms of Use | Service Commitment

Smaller Text Larger Text