- Mandate, Objectives and Actions
- E.1 Mandate and Objectives
The Accessibility Planning Program will contribute to creating a receptive, accessible community that ensures full participation of individuals with disabilities.
- To develop ability of all Regional staff to effectively and proactively identify and address accessibility barriers
- To improve accessibility of municipal programs, services and facilities
- To address policy issues and optimize advocacy efforts
- To build public awareness and knowledge of accessibility issues
- E.2 Objectives and Actions
- 1. To develop ability of all Regional staff to effectively and proactively identify and address accessibility barriers
- 1.1 Build an effective training and development program for staff
- 1.2 Ensure ongoing internal communication on accessibility
- 1.3 Develop specific accessibility standards and guidelines for publications
- 2. To improve accessibility of municipal programs, services and facilities.
- 2.1 Ensure effective processes are in place to integrate AAC advice
- 2.2 Strengthen organizational processes that will support accessibility
- 2.3 Develop a process for reporting of barriers and accessibility issues
- 2.4 Integrate accessibility issues into key planning documents
- 2.5 Ensure accessibility while organizing corporate events and meetings
- 2.6 Ensure effective processes are in place to address facility and architectural barriers
- 3. To address policy issues and optimize advocacy efforts
- 3.1 Undertake policy development approach
- 3.2 Establish strong partnerships with other governments and organizations
- 3.3 Pursue advocacy opportunities with the province
- 4. To build public awareness and knowledge of accessibility issues
- 4.1 Create opportunities for public involvement
- 4.2 Implement an external communication and education strategy
See the Accessibility Work Plan in Appendix II, which lists tasks that support each of the Objectives and related Actions.
- E.3 Strategic Plan Connection
The objectives and actions in the Accessibility Planning Program Service Strategy Business Plan are consistent with, and support, the following goals in the Region’s Strategic Plan, Fast Forward Peel: Building a Strong Community Together.
Goal 1: Improve the community’s health, social well-being and safety
Goal 5: Be a citizen-focused Regional government
Strategic Action 5.4: Contribute to creating a receptive, accessible community that ensures full participation of individuals with disabilities
- E.4 Service Principles (Optional)
The Regional Values function as Accessibility Planning Program service principles.
Mandate, Objectives and Actions (PDF 195KB, 2 pages)