Apply for a Child Care Subsidy

If you can't afford child care, you can apply for financial help. This is called a child care subsidy, and helps you pay for child care.

A child care subsidy reduces the amount of money that you have to pay to a licensed child care provider for your children under 12 years old. This amount is based on your family’s income. If you are eligible for a subsidy, you could expect to pay:

Net Family Income

Approximate Daily Child Care Cost for Parents

Approximate Monthly Child Care Cost for Parents



















Note: The amounts shown in this table are only estimates to give you an idea of what you may receive, based on your family's income. The actual cost for your family will be calculated during the application process.

To apply, you must:

If your child has special needs, contact us before applying.

Note: If you an Ontario Works recipient, do not apply. If you need assistance with child care, contact your caseworker.

Step 1: Check your eligibility

Eligibility depends on your household income and the number of children you are applying for.

Check Your Eligibility

Step 2: Find a subsidized child care space

You must find a child care space that can be subsidized by the Region of Peel. You may search for this yourself, or you can find a space using the Peel Early Learning and Child Care Directory

You can also call the following numbers for help by phone. Phone services are available in over 200 languages.

When you locate a child care space, contact the provider to see if they have a spot available for your child.

Note: Do not register your child with the provider until you have been approved by us. We will not reimburse any money you have paid for holds/reservations or fees before being approved for a subsidy.

Step 3: Apply online

To apply, you will need to make sure you have all of the required documents and identification.

Once you have completed your application, you will receive a call within 4 business days.

Apply Online

Other information

You can apply for a child care subsidy by phone. Call us at 905-793-9200 (Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).

Your eligibility for a child care subsidy can only be determined if you submit supporting documents for all of required information at your scheduled appointment.

If you are married, common-law, or living with the parent of the child(ren) you are applying for, you must provide us with information for every parent/guardian.

Refer to the following table that lists the acceptable documents for each type of required information. You only need one document for each section, unless otherwise indicated.  

Information Required Acceptable documents
  • Current Canada Child Benefit Notice (CCB)
  • Current Notice of Assessment/Reassessment (NOA) (all pages)
  • Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB) statement

If you are missing either the CCB or NOA, contact the Canada Revenue Agency for a replacement 1-800-959-8281 (NOA) or 1-800-387-1193 (CCB).

Current address
  • Driver's License
  • Utility bill
One piece of identification (ID) for each family member
  • Canadian Birth Certificate / Statement of Live Birth
  • Canadian Passport
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Landed immigrant documents
  • Valid immigration documents
If you are employed…
  • Two (2) most recent, consecutive paystubs that show the name of your employer and your work schedule
  • A letter from your employer showing your employer's name, your start date, and your work schedule
If you are a student…
  • A letter from your school stating your school's name, the classes you are enrolled in, start and completion dates of courses, and number of days and hours you attend each week.
  • OSAP Assessment Summary

Note: University or College students must include full-time or part-time verification

If you are self-employed…
  • T1 Personal Income Tax return
  • Statement of Business or Professional Activities (Line 8519 - Gross Profit)
  • T2 Corporate Income Tax return (Schedule 50 and Schedule 125)
Income Statement for Child Care Subsidy Applicants with a New Business (PDF)
Medical (if applicable)
Child custody (if applicable)
  • Legal guardianship or custody documents

When you are receiving a child care subsidy, your responsibilities are outlined in the Parent Agreement (PDF).

Your child care fee subsidy is based on the information you provide. It is your responsibility to tell us immediately if:

  • You move to a new address
  • Change your marital status
  • There are changes to your family size
  • Leave your job or finish school
  • Take a leave of absence from work for any reason (such as pregnancy or medical leave)

Note: You must contact us within two (2) weeks of a change happening. If you don't report this on time, your subsidy can be affected and you may be asked to repay us some of the money that you received for the subsidy.

Your subsidy will be assessed every 12 months to see if you are still eligible. This is called the Annual Review. We will send you a letter in the mail with instructions on what information you need to submit to us, where to send it, and the due date. If you do not submit this information by the due date, your subsidy may be terminated.